Sunday, March 20, 2016

TBC Stage 3 Race Report

The main story of the 2016 Edition of TBC Master 55+ race was the 3-man team from Cali named ThirstyBear p/b Akamai, who executed with precision on all three stages. They opened with the yellow jersey, handed it off to a teammate on Stage 2 and controlled it on Stage 3.

I can only assume that they kept it after Stage 3 because I left quickly - thoroughly frustrated.

It was one of those weekends when nothing seemed to go right. Sometimes, especially when the competition is strong, you need a little luck, or a break. And it just didn't happen.

On today's stage the Master's 55+ got tangled with the Master's 45+. It was pretty tense trying to keep track of the 600 series numbers and the 800 series numbers from the respective categories. Everyone trying to sneak away on each attack. Nobody was going to allow a breakaway today.

Rounding the final corner both groups were all together. If you're familiar with the course, the final straightaway is a 1250 meter undulating climb to the line. In the past I have attacked right at the corner and up the hill to solo for the win. But not today. I sprinted out of the corner and got a small gap, but was swarmed with 500 meters to go. I stayed in the top 5 but when I stood up to sprint again, I was toasted and just sat up and faded to the rear.

A humbling weekend for sure. I reviewed my power file and it verified what I felt - it was a hard assed race. In fact, it was pretty much full gas the entire day.

I have some work to do between now and San Dimas in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment